Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
This frosting keeps well at room temperature for a few hours, however if it starts to get too warm or you are not eating the cupcakes right away, place them in the refrigerator.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, measured in liquid form
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 recipe Vegan Frosting
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, espresso powder, almond milk, and vanilla. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until combined. Quickly stir in the vinegar until incorporated.
Divide batter evenly between muffin cups (scant 1/3 cup per cupcake). Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Top cupcakes with vegan frosting (about 3 tablespoons per cupcake).