Moist and tender pumpkin spice cake lavished with cream cheese frosting: you know you can't resist.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12 bars with 1 1/2 cups frosting
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush bottom and sides of an 8-by-12-inch cake pan with butter. Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. Brush parchment with butter.
Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and milk; set aside
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat until combined. On low speed add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of pumpkin mixture, and beating until just combined after each.
Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth top with spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make Frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and pinch of salt until light and creamy, 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until incorporated.
Assemble: Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake. Cut into 12 bars.