Pecan Corn Muffins
Pecans and brown sugar add a Southern touch of sweetness to these muffins.
- Yield: Makes 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June July 1992
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, plus more for tops
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans, plus 12 halves for garnish
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted unsalted butter, plus more for tops
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with oil or shortening, and put in oven to heat for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in cornmeal and chopped pecans.
In another bowl, combine egg, milk, yogurt, and butter.
Pour egg mixture on top of flour mixture and, using a wooden spoon, combine until flour is moistened, using as few strokes as possible.
Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling all the way to the top. Garnish each muffin with a pecan half. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar, and drizzle with a little melted butter.
Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown.