Warm Berry Compote for Buttermilk French Toast
This compote, a fresh alternative to maple syrup, is also delicious with pancakes or waffles.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1992
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, strained
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries, washed and picked over
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/2 pint fresh blackberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and cut in half
In a medium saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add sugar and orange juice; cook until sugar begins to dissolve, about 2 minutes.
Add blueberries and cook until they begin to release juice, about 1 minute. Add raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries and cook until soft and ready to burst, about 2 minutes, depending on ripeness. Shake pan gently or use a rubber spatula to stir carefully (do not crush berries). Serve immediately.