Crisp Zucchini-Panko Fries
The zucchini can be replaced with 2 yellow squashes; 8 ounces haricots verts, trimmed, rinsed, and dried; or 2 portobello-mushroom caps, cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Linda Pugliese
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2015
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 cups panko, preferably whole wheat
- 2 large zucchini (1 1/2 pounds total), halved crosswise and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water in a shallow bowl. Place wheat germ and panko in separate shallow bowls. Working with one wedge at a time, dip zucchini in wheat germ; coat in egg, then panko, pressing gently to adhere. Arrange in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with oil; season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Bake, rotating sheets and flipping zucchini halfway through, until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.