Inverted Tomato Sandwich
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2015
- 1 slice Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 slices heirloom tomato, 1/2 inch thick
- Red-wine vinegar
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, torn if large
Brush both sides of bread with oil, then pat cheese evenly onto both sides.
Heat a dry nonstick skillet over medium. Add coated bread and cook, flipping once, until cheese is golden brown and melted, about 5 minutes.
Place one tomato slice on a plate. Sprinkle with vinegar, then drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Layer with toast and remaining tomato slice. Sprinkle with vinegar, then drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Top with basil and serve.