Rigatoni with Eggplant and Yogurt
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2015
- 2 large eggplants (about 1 pound each), halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus small sprigs for serving
- 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
Heat broiler with rack 6 inches below heating element. Drizzle eggplants generously with oil; season with salt. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Flip and broil until cut sides are blackened and eggplants are very soft, about 8 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta.
Scoop flesh from eggplants, discarding skins; transfer to a large bowl. Mash with oil, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini. Stir in pasta, 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Add more pasta water, a little at a time, until sauce evenly coats pasta. Serve, with yogurt and cilantro sprigs, and drizzled with oil.