Spaghetti with Sicilian Pesto
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2015
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes (5 medium), cored and quartered
- 5 anchovies, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/3 cup toasted blanched almonds, plus more, chopped, for serving
- 2 1/2 ounces Parmesan, grated, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
Roast pepper over a gas flame, turning, until blackened, about 8 minutes. (Or blacken under broiler.) Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove skin, stem, ribs, and seeds. Tear into 2-inch pieces. Puree in a blender with tomatoes, anchovies, capers, raisins, almonds, cheese, and oil; season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
Add pepper mixture, then reserved pasta water, a little at a time, until sauce evenly coats pasta. Serve, topped with cheese, almonds, and parsley, and drizzled with oil.