Provencal Stuffed Tomatoes
Recipe adapted from John Besh's My Family Table (Andrews McMeel Publishing; 2011).
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: From My Family Table by John Bes
Source: Everyday Food, April 2011
- 6 medium or large tomatoes (about 3 pounds total), halved crosswise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, dried
- 3 ounces Parmesan, freshly grated (3/4 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet or in a casserole dish, place tomatoes, cut side up, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. In a food processor or blender, combine 1/2 cup oil, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic, and basil and process until combined, 20 seconds (mixture should have a wet, crumbly consistency). Season with salt and pepper. Top each tomato half with 1 heaping tablespoon breadcrumb mixture. Bake until tops are browned and tomatoes are warmed through, 20 minutes.