Thai Steak Salad
For a quick, easy, and delicious meal, make this salad for supper in under 30 minutes.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound skirt steak, patted dry and cut into 4 pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, leaves torn into large pieces
- 3 medium carrots, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
- 1 red chile, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, fish sauce, and sugar until sugar dissolves; set aside.
Season steak with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high. Cook steak, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, flipping once. Tent with foil on a cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, mint, peanuts, and chile. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Thinly slice steak against the grain and serve on salad.