Spice-Crusted Grilled Hanger Steak
Recipe adapted from Tom Colicchio.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Johnny Miller
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds hanger steak
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Steak sauce, horseradish sauce, or chimichurri, for serving
Sprinkle sugar over coriander and fennel seeds; roughly chop (or process spices in a spice grinder and add sugar in next step). Transfer to a small bowl with shallot, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic. Pat steak dry and rub all over with spice mixture.
Heat a grill to high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Season steaks all over with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, 8 minutes per side for medium-rare, flipping once. Transfer steaks to a plate and let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain and serve with steak sauce, horseradish sauce, or chimichurri.