Ravioli Salad with Cilantro Pesto, Olives, and Pepitas
Recipe adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson (Ten Speed Press; 2011).
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Johnny Miller
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more for seasoning
- 1/3 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine salt
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1/2 cup oil-cured pitted black olives or Kalamata olives, chopped
- Fresh thyme leaves or thyme flowers (optional), for serving
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, make the cilantro pesto: In a blender, combine cilantro, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, all but 1 tablespoon pepitas, and a splash of oil. Blend until smooth. With machine running, slowly add remaining oil until pesto comes together into a vibrant green sauce. Season with salt and more lemon juice, if desired.
Generously salt boiling water, add ravioli, and cook according to package instructions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and immediately toss with a big spoonful of pesto. Allow pesto to absorb, 1 minute, then add 1/2 cup pesto along with all but 1 tablespoon olives. Toss gently but thoroughly and add more pesto, if desired.
Sprinkle with remaining olives, pepitas, and thyme. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Refrigerate remaining pesto in an airtight container, up to 2 days.)