Kale and Lentil Bowl with Avocado Dressing
Whenever possible, buy vacuum-packed cooked lentils (available in many supermarkets); if using the canned variety, be sure to drain and thoroughly rinse the lentils before using.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2015
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 bunch (10 ounces) Tuscan kale, stems and center ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 2 2/3 cups cooked lentils (from a 17.6-ounce vacuum pack or two 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- Sliced extra-sharp cheddar (preferably aged), chopped roasted salted almonds, and sprouts, for serving
Pulse together avocado, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor until smooth. Toss two-thirds of dressing with kale in a bowl. Divide mixture among 4 serving bowls along with lentils, cheddar, almonds, sprouts, and lemon wedges. Serve, with remaining dressing on the side.