Cauliflower Fried Rice
Shredded cauliflower steps in to make a crave-worthy low-carb version of fried rice. To make paleo fried rice, just sub the soy sauce with coconut aminos and nix the peas.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1 head cauliflower (1 1/4 pounds), cored, broken into pieces (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 3 large eggs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
Pulse cauliflower florets in 2 batches a food processor until finely chopped, but not pureed, about 6 quick pulses (4 cups chopped cauliflower).
Heat a large cast iron pan or wok over high until very hot, about 2 minutes (a sprinkle of water should evaporate immediately). Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat. Beat together eggs, 2 teaspoons water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add egg mixture to pan and cook, pushing eggs toward center of pan to form large, soft curds, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
Add 2 tablespoons oil, carrots, and onion to pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Add garlic, ginger, and sambal oelek; cook stirring until fragrant, 1 minute. Add cauliflower; cook stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan, until just barely tender, 2 minutes. Remove from pan to a large bowl; add back eggs. Stir in peas and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.