Vegan Banana French Toast
Silken tofu and almond milk give this vegan French toast its creamy, custardy texture. A double dose of bananas makes a sweet start to the day. This recipe works best with day old bread. If using a fresh baguette, let soak in custard for half the time.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1 small banana (4 ounces), plus more sliced for serving
- 6 ounces silken tofu (3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 baguette (8 to 10 ounces), preferably day-old, cut on a bias into 1-inch-thick slices
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil, for cooking
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a blender or food processor, combine banana, tofu, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a large shallow dish.
Working in batches, soak bread in banana mixture 3 to 4 minutes per side. Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lift bread from banana mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Cook bread, flipping once, until a golden crust forms, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining batches. Repeat with remaining bread, adding more coconut oil for each batch. Serve topped with bananas and maple syrup.