Quinoa Fried Rice
Our healthy take on fried rice replaces white rice with nutty, protein-rich quinoa and is packed with plenty of kale, too.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed well
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (about 16 caps)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 4 cups packed kale leaves, torn into small pieces, from 1 bunch
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
In a saucepan, bring quinoa, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer until tender, 16 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
Heat a large cast iron pan until very hot, about 2 minutes (a sprinkle of water should evaporate immediately). Add 2 tablespoons oil, mushrooms, and onions; cook stirring occasionally until browned, 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and sriracha; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add quinoa and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, cook, tossing occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until heated through, 2 minutes. Add kale, and soy sauce; toss until kale is wilted; 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.