Beet Gazpacho with Shrimp
You can make this refreshing meal without even turning on the oven or stove top. Float pre-cooked shrimp on a bowl of gazpacho made heartier with earthy beets. Look for vacuum-packed cooked beets in the produce section of supermarkets.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2015
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) cooked beets, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 large cucumber (12 ounces), peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 5 medium), cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 3/4 pound large cooked shrimp, for serving
- Crackers, for serving
Puree beets with juices, cucumber, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and basil in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. Season with more salt as desired. Chill until ready to serve, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
Divide gazpacho among 4 serving bowls. Drizzle with oil, and top with shrimp and a few basil leaves. Serve, with crackers.