Pecan Pie Muffins
The combination of dark brown sugar, vanilla, and pecans in these muffins make them taste just like pecan pie.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, plus 12 intact halves or additional chopped nuts for tops
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant, about 12 minutes. Cool 15 minutes, then coarsely chop. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then stir in pecans.
Divide batter evenly between muffin cups,adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Top each with a single pecan half or more chopped nuts, and sanding sugar. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.