Juicy summer peaches make these tender muffins really shine.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups chopped peaches (from 1 large or 2 small), plus very thin slices for tops (optional)
- Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, milk, and butter. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined. Fold in peaches.
Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Top each with a slice of peach and sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.