Lemon Poppy-Seed Muffins
Poppy seeds lend a pleasant crunch to these aromatic, lemony muffins.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest plus 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, zest, juice, and milk. Whisk in butter. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined. Stir poppy seeds into batter.
Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Sprinkle with sugar and poppy seeds, if desired. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.