Homemade harissa adds a smoky, earthy component to Pasture-Raised Pork with Couscous and Vegetables.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 3/4 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2015
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Roast pepper over the flame of a gas burner, turning with tongs, until blackened and blistered. (Or roast under broiler, turning as needed.) Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand 15 minutes. Rub off skin with paper towels, then remove and discard ribs and seeds. Puree pepper with garlic, chili paste, spices, oil, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.