Broiled Salmon with Asparagus and Shiitake Mushrooms
If using farmed salmon, broil it for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2015
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (each about 5 ounces and 3/4 inch thick), preferably wild
Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches from heating element. Stir together soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, and ginger in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved.
In a large straight-sided ovenproof skillet, toss asparagus and mushrooms with oil, season lightly with salt and pepper, and spread in an even layer. Broil 5 minutes. Add soy-sauce mixture, stir to coat, and broil 3 minutes more.
Add salmon, sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with oil and some sauce from pan. Broil 2 to 3 minutes more (for medium-rare). Serve, with lemon wedges.