Lebanese Tomato Sauce
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 1 3/4 cups
Photography: Lennart Weibull
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2015
- 1 1/2 pounds medium yellow, orange, or red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
Bring a pot of water to a boil; prepare a large ice-water bath. Cut a shallow X in the bottom of each tomato; place in pot and blanch 20 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to ice bath; let cool completely. Peel and discard skins.
Core, halve, and squeeze tomatoes to remove seeds and pulp. Transfer flesh to a food processor. Add oil, cumin seeds, pepper flakes, and salt. Pulse just until a chunky sauce forms (about 8 times). Transfer to a bowl. Stir in garlic. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and remove garlic before serving.