"Too much zucchini" will never be a problem again when you serve the squash as golden, crispy fritters.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Mike Krautter
- Safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick wedges, then crosswise if desired
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy pot such as a Dutch oven over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Whisk together panko and Parmesan in a pie plate; season with salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in two separate pie plates, and season each with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Dredge zucchini in flour, tapping off excess. Dip into eggs, turning to coat, then remove, allowing excess to drip back into dish. Transfer to panko mixture, turning to coat, and pressing gently to adhere.
Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, carefully lower zucchini into hot oil. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over and tender in the center, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total. Allow oil to return to 350 degrees between batches. Remove and drain on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt. Serve with lemon wedges.