Thomas's Fudgy Brownies
Do you like your brownies rich, dense, and fudgy, or light, cake, and a little bit chewy? Discover the secrets of the perfect brownie.
- Yield: Makes nine 2 1/2-inch squares
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into large pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang on all sides. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Whisk in cocoa and salt. Fold in flour until combined.
Pour batter into pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift brownies from pan using parchment. Remove parchment and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely. Cut into 9 squares.