Thomas's Cakey Brownies
Do you like your brownies rich, dense, and fudgy, or light, cake, and a little bit chewy? Discover the secrets of the perfect brownie.
- Yield: Makes nine 2 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into large pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang on all sides. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Whisk in cocoa and salt. Fold in flour and baking powder until combined.
Pour batter into pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack about 15 minutes. Lift brownies from pan using parchment. Remove parchment, and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely. Cut into 9 squares.