- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Mike Krautter
For the filling
- 2 pounds strawberries, trimmed and quartered (6 cups)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the topping
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling, optional
- Heavy cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees with racks in middle and bottom. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place on bottom rack to catch any juices that might bubble over. Stir together berries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Add cream, and use a fork to incorporate, stirring until a soft sticky dough forms. Dollop dough over filling, dividing evenly into 9 pieces. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling in the center, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool at least 1 hour before serving. Serve warm or room temperature with a scoop of ice cream or drizzled with heavy cream, if desired.