Build a Better Burrito Bowl
Dial back on grains, and scale up on lean protein and fresh produce. Too often, popular "rice bowls" lean heavily on carbs -- as much as 1 cup of rice in a serving. But just a few tweaks help these dishes strike a better balance.
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 1/2 cup cooked whole grains (brown rice, farro, quinoa)
- 1/2 cup cooked beans (black beans, chickpeas, cannellini)
- 3 ounces lean protein (chicken or turkey breast, pork tenderloin)
- Romaine lettuce and sliced radishes, for serving
- Fresh salsa, toasted pepitas, and Creamy Avocado Dressing, for serving
Start with cooked whole grains, add cooked beans and lean protein, and round it out with lettuce and radishes, topped with salsa, pepitas, and creamy avocado dressing.