Lemon Cornmeal Cake
Extra-virgin olive oil, eggs, and milk make this Italian-inspired cornmeal cake extra-moist. And it's gluten-free, to boot.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Lennart Weibull
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2015
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds, chopped
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine milk and lemon juice in a bowl; let stand until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pulse almonds, cane sugar, and zest in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk oil, eggs, and extract into milk mixture; stir into cornmeal mixture.
Brush a 9-inch springform pan with oil. Pour batter into pan. Bake, rotating once, until golden and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.