Emeril's Chorizo Frittata
This is Emeril's version of Mr. John's chorizo frittata.
- Servings: 6
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, small diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions (green tops only), plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cubed mixed cheese (Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey jack, Munster)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat the broiler and place the top rack 4 to 5 inches from the broiler element.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper until the eggs are frothy. Set aside.
Set a 10-inch, oven-proof skillet over medium high heat and add the chorizo. Cook the chorizo, stirring often, until most of the fat has rendered and the chorizo is well caramelized, about 4-5 minutes. Add the butter, onions and green and red bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions, garlic, parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
With the pan over medium heat, pour the egg mixture over the chorizo and vegetables, and evenly place the cubed cheeses across the surface. Cook, lifting with a rubber spatula to let the eggs flow underneath, until the edges are set but the middle still is loose, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the Parmesan over the top. Place under the broiler until the eggs are slightly puffed and the cheese is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully to prevent from overcooking.
Remove from the oven and carefully slide the frittata out onto a large serving platter. Garnish with additional parsley and chopped green onions, slice, and serve immediately.