Seeded Graham Biscotti
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 3 dozen
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2015
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, and hemp and fennel seeds in a bowl. In another bowl, beat brown sugar, eggs, vanilla seeds and extract, and zest on medium speed until pale and thickened, about 4 minutes. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in almonds.
Shape dough into a 3-by-12-inch log. Combine sanding sugar and sesame seeds on a rimmed baking sheet; roll log in mixture to completely coat. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet; bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
Transfer log to a cutting board. Slice with a serrated knife into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Return slices to baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, rotating sheet once, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet on wire rack before serving.