Seeded Savory Quick Bread
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes one 9-by-5-inch loaf
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2015
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving a 1-inch overhang on long sides. Spray parchment.
Whisk together flours, 1/2 cup each sunflower and black sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons each caraway and flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Stir together milk, buttermilk, honey, and oil in a large bowl until honey is dissolved. Add flour mixture; beat until combined, about 1 minute. Transfer to prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining seeds, pressing gently to adhere.
Bake until a tester inserted in middle comes out clean, about 1 hour, 5 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then turn out onto rack and let cool completely. Bread can be stored at room temperature up to 1 week, or frozen up to 1 month.