Asparagus and Fava Beans with Toasted Almonds
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2015
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice and zest (removed in long strips) of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, toasted and chopped
Blanch fava beans in a pot of salted boiling water just until tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to an ice-water bath. Blanch asparagus in pot until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to ice-water bath. Drain vegetables. Remove outer skin from fava beans (you should have 1 cup). Pat asparagus dry.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Swirl in oil, then add garlic and fava beans and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer beans to a plate with a slotted spoon. Let skillet cool slightly, then whisk lemon juice into oil in skillet; season with salt and pepper. (Add more oil if dressing is too tart.) Add asparagus; toss to coat with dressing.
Combine almonds and lemon zest in a small bowl. Transfer asparagus to a platter, top with fava beans, and drizzle remaining dressing in skillet over top. Sprinkle with almond-zest mixture and serve.