Herb Relish (Schug) and Matzo
This traditional Yemeni relish is served throughout the year, as an accompaniment to roasted meats and vegetables and as a spread for falafel and other sandwiches.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Stephen Kent Johnson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2015
- 1 jalapeno, halved (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stems cut into 2-inch pieces (2 packed cups)
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems cut into 2-inch pieces (2 packed cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Matzo sheets, for serving
Pulse jalapeno and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add herbs, season with salt and pepper, and pulse until finely chopped. With motor running, slowly add oil, processing until mixture resembles a loose paste. Serve in a bowl, with matzo.