Whole Baked Trout with Cherry Tomatoes and Potatoes
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: David Malosh
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, broken into smaller clusters if on the vine
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole trout (about 9 ounces each), scaled, gutted, and cleaned 6 thin lemon slices (from 1 lemon)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss together potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Arrange potatoes in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, overlapping them; top with tomatoes.
Roast until tomatoes are juicy and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
Rub fish with remaining 1 teaspoon oil, dividing evenly. Season inside and outside of fish with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; stuff with lemon slices. Arrange on top of potatoes, shifting tomatoes alongside. Roast until fish are cooked through, about 20 minutes; serve immediately.