- Total Time:
- Servings: 10
- 1 large lemon, zested into strips
- 3 sprigs sage
- 3/4 cup honey
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup firmly packed finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Sugared Sage, for serving (optional)
First glaze: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat.
Cake: Butter and flour an 8-inch hexagonal (or round or square) cake pan. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sage. Beat eggs and brown sugar on medium-high until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in honey, milk, oil, and zest. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 2 batches; beat until just combined.
Spread batter in pan. Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven; poke holes with toothpick all over cake. Remove zest strips and sage from first glaze; brush over top. Let cool completely in pan.
Final glaze: Whisk together honey, confectioners' sugar, and lemon juice. Remove cake from pan and brush final glaze over top; continue until all is used. Garnish with sugared sage. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife, wiping knife between cuts; serve.