Mini Asian Meatballs in Lettuce Cups
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Yuki Sugiura
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2015
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic (from 12 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger (from a 3-inch piece)
- 3 scallions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 pound ground beef (80 percent lean)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, such as nam pla
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Bibb lettuce leaves, cilantro sprigs, sliced Thai chiles, and chopped roasted peanuts, for serving
Finely chop together garlic, ginger, and scallions. In a bowl, gently combine garlic mixture with ground beef, fish sauce, and salt. Form mixture into 52 meatballs, each 1 inch in diameter.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high. Working in batches, fry meatballs until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes a batch.
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and lime juice. Serve meatballs in lettuce cups, with lime mayonnaise and accompaniments.