Beef and Cheddar Hand Pies
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Yuki Sugiura
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2015
- 1 pound ground beef (80 percent lean)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 2 cloves)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 sheet (12 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Roasted broccoli rabe or other green vegetable, for serving
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high. Add beef, garlic, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire and Dijon; season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Stir in cheese.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch square. Cut into four 7-inch squares; place a quarter of beef mixture on each. Brush edges with egg, then fold one corner of each pie over, forming a triangle. Press edges to seal.
Place pies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with more egg. Cut 2 vents in each top; freeze 10 minutes. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve with broccoli rabe.