Martha made this recipe on Martha Bakes episode 407.
- Servings: 12
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Bakes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 pounds baby spinach, rinsed well, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, chopped (2 cups packed)
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped (2 packed)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- About 3/4 cup Clarified Butter
- 10 sheets phyllo dough, halved crosswise
Fill a medium saucepan with 3/4 cup water and add rice. Cover and place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat, strain, and let cool slightly.
Mix together spinach, scallions, mint, parsley, olive oil, soy sauce, cooked rice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with clarified butter. Lay one half sheet of phyllo dough in bottom of baking dish; brush with butter. Add another layer of phyllo dough, repeating process 8 more times to form crust.
Spread spinach mixture evenly over crust. Top with a half sheet of phyllo dough. Brush dough with butter and top with another half sheet of phyllo dough. Repeat process 8 more times to form top crust.
Cut pie into 3-inch squares. Transfer baking dish to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until golden brown, about 40 minutes more. If crust begins to brown too quickly, cover baking dish with parchment-paper-lined aluminum foil until filling is heated through.