Martha's Pecan Tart
- Yield: Makes one 8-by-11-inch tart
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- Unbaked Pate Brisee shell
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line crust with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights; transfer to oven. Bake until edges are set and golden, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and beans or weights and continue baking until bottom is dry and golden, about 15 minutes more. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Whisk together eggs in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, molasses, corn syrup, and salt; mix to combine. Stir in butter, vanilla, and zest until thoroughly combined. Add chopped pecans and stir to combine.
Pour filling into tart shell. Neatly arrange pecan halves in rows over filling and transfer to oven. Bake until pastry is lightly browned and filling is set, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely on rack before cutting and serving. Serve with freshly whipped cream.