Bruleed Winter-Bean Soup
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Anna Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2015
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 2-inch piece Parmesan rind
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces kale, stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices country bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated young Asiago
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juices; cook 1 minute.
Add 4 cups water and Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Stir in beans and kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat broiler. Spread bread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Place under broiler and toast, tossing once, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide soup, croutons, and Asiago among 4 ovenproof bowls; drizzle each with oil. Broil until melted, about 1 minute; serve.