Herbed Rice with Dates and Pomegranate
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2015
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/4-inch-thick slice peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1/2 pomegranate)
- 1/3 cup pistachios, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 6 large soft dates, such as medjool or zahidi, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Bring rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ginger, and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until all of water is absorbed, 16 to 17 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff with fork. Remove and discard ginger.
Transfer rice to a large bowl; let cool 5 minutes. Stir in dill, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, dates, oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and serve.