Dark Chocolate Truffles
This recipe comes from our book "Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide."
- Yield: Makes 28
Photography: Johnny Miller
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (at least 70 percent cacao), chopped
- 1/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, for rolling
- Assorted toppings: cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts), and toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
Melt chocolate with oil and the water. Stir in vanilla and sea salt. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish, and refrigerate until mixture is set but still pliable, about 2 hours.
With a 1-inch ice-cream scoop, make 28 balls, transferring each one to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Coat hands in cocoa, and roll balls to make smooth. Refrigerate on sheet 10 minutes. (Truffles can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 weeks; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before coating.) To serve, roll in cocoa or pat with nuts or coconut.