Buttery Yeast Dough
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 pounds, 6 ounces
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January December/January 2015
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 6 pieces, plus more for plastic wrap
Whisk together both flours and salt. In the bowl of a mixer, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand until foamy, 5 minutes.
Add eggs, zest, and flour mixture to yeast mixture. Beat on medium-high speed with a dough hook until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes.
Beat in butter, one piece at a time; continue beating until fully combined and dough is silky but still sticky, about 5 minutes more. Cover with buttered plastic wrap; let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Chill 1 hour. Punch down dough. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or overnight.