Fig and Ginger Granola
This granola recipe makes a versatile base for the two variations that follow, using just a few simple swaps.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 7 1/2 to 8 cups
Photography: Anna Williams
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup dried unsweetened coconut chips, such as Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed light- or dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, or coarse salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dried black Mission figs
- 1/4 cup diced candied ginger
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix together oats, coconut, both nuts, maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, pepitas, and 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste). Spread mixture in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until darkened, 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes for the first 30 minutes and then every 5 to 10 minutes after that. Let cool completely.
Omit almonds and walnuts and use 1 cup chopped skinned hazelnuts. Once cooled, stir in 1/3 cup cocoa nibs and 1/2 cup dried cherries instead of figs and ginger.
Chocolate and Apricot
Omit walnuts and use 1 cup chopped raw almonds. Once cooled, stir in 1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate and 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots instead of figs and ginger.