Sausage and Broccoli with Pepperoncini Sauce
Make pizza the next day with the leftover meat and vegetables.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 2015
- 2 heads broccoli (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into large florets
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 8 links sweet Italian sausage (about 2 pounds)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup jarred sliced pepperoncini rounds, plus 1/4 cup pickling liquid
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Basic Polenta (Soft or Set), for serving
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On 2 rimmed baking sheets, toss broccoli with 3 tablespoons oil and salt. Roast until tender and browned in spots, tossing, and rotating sheets once, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add pickling liquid, broth, and beans; bring to a boil. Cook, mashing some beans with the back of a spoon, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add pepperoncini. Reserve half of all for next day; serve remainder with polenta.