Winter-Vegetable Red Curry
Transform leftover curry into an easy potpie with puff pastry.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January December/January 2015
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red curry paste (from a 4-ounce can)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 8 medium carrots or parsnips, or a combination of both, peeled and cut on the bias into 1/4-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened light coconut milk
- 8 mini sweet peppers, seeded and sliced (about 2 cups)
- Coarse salt
- Cooked rice, halved grape tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves, for serving
Heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; swirl in oil. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in curry paste, squash, and carrots; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add coconut milks. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add peppers and cook until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Reserve half of curry for next day; serve remainder over rice with tomatoes and basil.