- Yield: Makes 1 sandwich
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 2 slices seeded rye bread, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 1 ounce Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Spicy brown mustard or Russian Dressing for Martha's Reuben Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- Pickles, for serving
Place one slice of bread on work surface and top with the corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. On the other piece of bread, spread one side with Russian dressing or spicy brown mustard. Place dressing-side down on top of Swiss cheese to form a sandwich.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to the pan and place the sandwich on top of the melted butter. Cook until golden, pressing down with a spatula, about 2 minutes. Lift the sandwich from the skillet and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Toast the other side of sandwich until golden and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with pickles.