The Fluffiest Pancakes
- Yield: Makes about 10
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more, softened, for cooking and serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for cooking
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature, beaten to stiff peaks
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter, and vegetable oil in a glass measuring cup. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just moistened (do not overmix; a few small lumps are fine). Gently fold in egg whites.
Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Use 1/2 teaspoon butter and 2 teaspoons oil to coat. For each pancake, ladle 1/3 cup batter 2 inches apart. Cook until bubbles form and pancakes are slightly dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Flip; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter and oil as needed. Serve with butter and syrup, if desired.