Adapted from Anne Quatrano's Summerland: Recipes for Celebrating With Southern Hospitality (Rizzoli).
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2014
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 large loaf sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 Gala apples, cored, peeled, and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 sprigs sage, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Divide bread cubes between 2 rimmed baking sheets, spread in a single layer, and toast until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature; transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally and breaking into bite-size pieces, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Transfer sausage to bowl with bread. Melt butter in skillet. Add celery and onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in apples and continue cooking until apples are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sage and broth, raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; immediately pour over bread and sausage. Add cranberries and stir to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer dressing to prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, until top is crisp and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.